Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A reason not to get rid of your ps2

I've been playing ps games for a while now and I bought myself a ps3 back in February since they discontinued the 60GB model with hardware backwards compatibility. For the most part I've had no problems playing ps1 and ps2 games on it. A little while ago I decided to play the Final Fantasy V portion of Final Fantasy Anthology only to discover that it didn't work when played on a ps3. More recently however I've been trying to play Star Ocean: Till the End of Time. The game would randomly lock up on me when transitioning into battle or a new area, and I mean completely randomly. Now unlike FF Anthology the sony backwards compatibility site states that there are no problems with this game. I kept at it for about a week and I found that I was always expecting a crash and it was really ruining the game for me. So I hauled my ps2 out and hooked it back up to my tv and sure enough the game plays fine. I can even see when the game would have hung when played on my ps3 but after a moments pause the ps2 keeps at it. What I'm wondering is if there are more titles like this that have issues when played on a ps3? I'd appreciate it if anybody that knows of titles that don't work properly on the ps3 and aren't mentioned on the compatibility site could let us know. Also, has anybody here recently played Star Ocean: Till the End of Time on a ps3? I might just be suffering from a defective disc for all I know. A reason not to get rid of your ps2
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]A reason not to get rid of your ps2
real hardware is always better than emulation. remember that..
I don't own a PS3, but as far as the 360 goes, the same thing will happen when playing original X-Box games. It's always better to run the games on the system they were made for^^^
I still have my PS2 just to avoid stuff like that.
I always play my games on the system they where made for.
in fact i plan to buy another ps2 if my ps2 will crap out on me. just to avoid stuff like that.
resident evil 4 is good enough reason for me.
That sounds like such awesome service from a $500 video game system. Kidding. I've had a slim PS2 for like 5 years now and never had a problem playing PS1/PS2 games at all. This is a bit off topic, but I've noticed similar issues with the Xbox 360's backwards compatibility. I had to restart my 360 like 8 times just to get Silent Hill 2 to work..... and I never had an issue playing it on my original Xbox.
[QUOTE=''TheXboxgamer73'']That sounds like such awesome service from a $500 video game system. Kidding. I've had a slim PS2 for like 5 years now and never had a problem playing PS1/PS2 games at all. This is a bit off topic, but I've noticed similar issues with the Xbox 360's backwards compatibility. I had to restart my 360 like 8 times just to get Silent Hill 2 to work..... and I never had an issue playing it on my original Xbox.[/QUOTE] While I've never had a problem with SH2, I've had problems with Baldur's Gate I %26 II and Fable, all of which work fine on the original
Coolest system ever, anything else are a copies with better graphics
[QUOTE=''aoshi_shinumori'']in fact i plan to buy another ps2 if my ps2 will crap out on me. just to avoid stuff like that.[/QUOTE]Yeah, I plan to buy a new PS2 next year, since I still have my launch PS2.
I guess I will have to keep my ps2 which is annoying as I don't want to be hanging onto a bunch of systems when I don't need to. Which is why I was dismayed that SONY stopped putting emotion engine chips in ps3s. Aside from those two games I've mentioned in the first post everything i've put in it worked fine.That was what I loved about the ps2, after you got one you had no reason to hold onto your ps1. I guess it's unreasonable to expect the same thing two console generations in a row. Not to say that my slim ps2 doesn't look funny sitting next to a ps3.
for my games and the momories of sleeples nites
Sony and Microsoft really messed up backwards compatibility this generation. I havn't heard of anyone having problems with the Wii's backwards compatibility.I am also relatively sure that Microsoft stopped adding games to its backwards compatibility list, it has been nearly a year since it was updated last.
Reasons not to get rid of it are 1.Think of all the good times :)2.Its still going strong and a new slim is cheaper than a psp even :)3.You know it loves you too :)
You might as well keep it to play other PS2 games that don't work on your PS3.
my roommate HAD a 60gb ps3 before and it worked good on the ps2 games. but i prefer playing PS2 games on a standard TV on the PS2, and I'd rather play PS1 games on a PS1 or a PS2. I just like that the PS3 has virtual Memory cards. and you can copy your memory cards onto the PS3 then put them away. another reason to keep your ps2 is to use it as a DVD player. LOL. yeah it's an obvious reason, but just thought id say it anyways LOL
I would never get rid of my Ps2.I still have to finish Z.O.E, SMT (like 4 of them), MGS Box set, Makai Kingdom, and make myself finish ff12.
I keep all my hardware's till I can play them on the computer. I tried RE4 and Shadow of the Colossus on my brothers PS3, at his house, and they ran fine. Those games really do not count because most of the major hits will work on the PS3/360.

No comments:

Post a Comment