Friday, April 16, 2010

Retro console - ideas?

Hey allI have recently tried the Duke Nukem 3D and Mega Man 9 games available on Xbox Live Arcade. I found the games quite enjoyable and it got me thinking. I am wandering wheter or not to get a retro console such as a Super Nintendo or Sega Saturn so I can enjoy some of these older titles and others. I am a bit of a graphics man so I like the games to look sharp like they do in high definition so that is something I need to consider along with games available for the consoles.I am looking for your suggestions on consoles and games I should try, I did have a PS1 and Nintendo 64 but sold them but would consider getting a PS2 maybe if there are good retro compliations to try on that.Thank youRetro console - ideas?
A majority of the retro comps will be rereleased versions of arcade games like pac man, galaga and the like. If you have particular tastes you might be better suited just using what you can get off XBL. If you indeed want a retro console you cant go wrong with the NES or super NES. Both are affordable and relatively easy to find. Buying an atari falls pretty much under the collectors only section. Most of the games worth playing are already on either PS1 comps or some form of digital download.With that said, i have at least a few ''must have'' games on every console i own so in that respect you just need to look at the library of games on any particular system and then see if there are enough to warrant purchasing the system or if most of them are available elsewhere. As for the genesis in particular, i personally couldnt stand NOT owning one. Its subjective i guess but there are several games that i absolutely loved that i know will never get an XBL release so original remains the only option when it comes to playing them. Retro console - ideas?
[QUOTE=''Garfield360UK'']Hey allI have recently tried the Duke Nukem 3D and Mega Man 9 games available on Xbox Live Arcade. I found the games quite enjoyable and it got me thinking. I am wandering wheter or not to get a retro console such as a Super Nintendo or Sega Saturn so I can enjoy some of these older titles and others. I am a bit of a graphics man so I like the games to look sharp like they do in high definition so that is something I need to consider along with games available for the consoles.I am looking for your suggestions on consoles and games I should try, I did have a PS1 and Nintendo 64 but sold them but would consider getting a PS2 maybe if there are good retro compliations to try on that.Thank you[/QUOTE]I would say go with the Super Nintendo. The SNES is filled with so many great games like: Mega Man X series, Castlevania series, Super Mario 1 %26 2, Wolfenstien 3d, Doom, Donkey Kong series, and many many more.
Based on your needs, the 8 bit and 16 bit consoles would be a great fit. Anything older that is more for collectors. I would recommend a Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis or NES in that order. If you dropped $80-$100, you could get yourself a nice collection of must have games and a reliable console. Most PS1, Saturn and N64 games don't look good blown up on a HD TV.I would also recommend a PS1, but why not get a PS2 to triple the library of available games while your at it? It is a slippery slope.
I shall see, I think I may stick with the Xbox 360 as it will be easier to get hold of games. A PS2 is tempting but I traded my old one in so it would be daft to rebuy it.
If you do decide to get a retro console you probably would be best off with a SNES, simply because for classic RPG's and platformers, there is no better system out there IMO (possibly PS1 for RPG's, but that's debatable, depending on what kinds of RPG's you like). However, you said you were a stickler for graphics; even if you get a newer console with arcade or classic compilations, they most likely will not be graphically updated. In other words, they will look the same as on an older console, and the controllers for the new console may not work quite as well or as responsively with the game as the originals would. Sorry if I'm insulting your intelligence, I just thought I'd point it out, just in case.BTW, I recently purchased an old SNES after playing a lot of the classic games on my PC (from unnamed sources:D ), and now I want to play all of them again. Nothing beats playing the game on the original machine, with the original controller, in all of its 16-bit glory :) . Good luck, and happy gaming!
  • dermatologist acne
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment